Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Lights! Camera! Action!

This last Monday was our first day of filming for the English text book video supplement. We woke up nice and early, packed our bags to look like tourists and took a cab into the city. We met the boss for breakfast (baozi, steamed buns with pork in the middle, and a sweet bean porridge) and then it was off to the hotel. From what we can gather from our scripts it seems like the text focuses on tourism, which is why we needed to dress like tourists and why we're filming in hotels, airports and other touristy locations. So first up was hair and make up. The Chinese like their pinks and glitter so I ended up looking a bit like Jon Benet Ramsey, but it was fun. We shot a few scenes in the lobby talking to our "tour guide" and then it was off to lunch for more filming. And here Mrs. Black had her solo debut: the room was silent, the lights were bright, the camera was rolling. I sat up tall, looked straight across the table and said in my most eloquent voice
"The soup is getting cold. Could you  help us to have it warmed up?"
BAM! Hope you brought your binoculars because I just knocked that one outta the park! hahaha my other line of the day was quite dramatic
"Help! My husband has slipped and fallen in the toilet! He's unconscious!"
That'll probably be a tear jerker ;) We wrapped up the day with the best pizza in Chongqing and headed home.

This weekend we'll be heading to Chengdu (capital of Sichuan and land of the pandas) to film a few more scenes. This weekend is also the Qingming festival, or Tomb Sweeping Day; a time to remember and honor your ancestors. I"ll be honoring mine by enjoying some beer and watching the NCAA tournament at Hooters when we have time off from filming. Hoot hoot!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brianne,

    My name is John Murray and I am a SJU Senior who will be doing this same program through Southwest next year. I found your blog through Victoria Yamry, and have LOVED reading it!

    I know you are very busy but I would appreciate any advice in preparing for this experience such as when did you buy your plane ticket? How has the monthly stipend held up? How many hours a week do you work? Should I have lesson plans ready?

    If you do have time, please contact me at jcmurray@csbsju.edu. I look forward to reading more posts! Thanks,

    Sincerely,
    John Murray

    ReplyDelete